header

Monday, September 16, 2013

The Painting Process! Summer Afternoon in Georgetown

Last week I wrote about the Art Walk at the Mosaic District, where I set up shop outside and did a painting demonstration!  I was working on a painting at the time called Summer Afternoon in Georgetown, a 20" x 24" oil on canvas.  While I spent most of my time talking, I finished it up at home, and took some pictures of how I painted the reflection of the water.  Check it out!

Below, I begin by blocking in colors.  As I mentioned in The Kennedy Center post, the water reflection is always darker than the thing it is reflecting.


I changed rooms to paint, so you can see the colors are much warmer in the picture.  I didn't adjust the colors, I just painted in warmer light!  Here everything is now blocked in.  I left the spots closest to the shore line, as well as the rocks in the foreground, untouched for now.


Next, I smooth out the color blocking.  This needs to be done while wet. I blended the colors together by simply going over them with a dry brush vertically, and then horizontally, left to right.


In this picture, you can see the shoreline is filled in.  This water is more "rippled" and therefore reflects the blue sky.  I also added additional ripples in throughout the river, which you can see with the whitish blue lines that now streak across the water in the foreground and middle ground.  This helps to give movement to the river.


Voila!  The rocks are now filled in, and the painting is complete!  To see the final image in more detail, check out the gallery page here!

Hope you have a great week!

No comments: