header

Monday, September 30, 2013

Paintings, ValeArts, & Peter Max!

Springtime at the Capitol, 12"x24"

This past week was a bit crazy for a few different, but great, reasons.  First, I finished a painting, which I have to tell you is just a great feeling.  It can be a little tough sometimes to decide when you are finally done with a painting, as you can keep working and working over it, sometimes to the detriment of the painting itself.  There are times when I need someone else to tell me I'm done, while other times, I can say "done!" myself.  This painting is one of those where I could make the final decision (woo hoo!).  Springtime at the Capitol is a 12"x24" oil on canvas, and I loved using such a soft palette.

Photo Courtesy of ValeArts.com

After I finished the painting above, I began working on getting ready for the ValeArts show which is THIS WEEKEND!  The show starts on Friday morning, opening at 10 a.m.  Friday night there will be a reception with food and drinks beginning at 7 p.m. and running until 9 p.m.  It will be a GREAT time so please come on out!  If you can't come to the Friday evening reception, please be sure to come visit at some point throughout the weekend.  I will be working from 10-2 p.m. Friday and 2-6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. The best part is that admission is free and open to the public!  There is even a kids crafting table outside so there is sure to be fun for everyone!


This week was also busy for another great reason...Peter Max was in town!  Peter is one of the incredible artists represented at Wentworth Gallery, and if you aren't familiar, is known for his psychedelic shapes and bright color palette.  He also just so happened to have a show opening in Bethesda, Maryland on Saturday afternoon.  My husband, Patrick, and I were in attendance to meet this amazing artist and were even able to get a photo op with him!  On top of being a true talent, he is charming, charismatic and just an overall great guy.  He told us that the first time he saw his wife, he told his buddy he was going to marry her.  You can tell he's just as in love with her today as he ever was, as he pointed out that everything from his socks to his jacket was picked out by her.  Love it!

If you want to see Peter Max's work in person, you can check it out at the Wentworth Gallery in Tyson's Galleria or at Montgomery Mall in Bethesda throughout this month.


And on a personal note, this week was also a bit crazy because I helped to plan our high school reunion this past Saturday evening.  It was a lot of work but at the same time it was a ton of fun and just a really nice time.  Our principal even came (he is a really cool man), and it was just a reminder of how incredibly fun our class was as a whole.  

Okay so I think this counters last weeks "nothing new to report" post.  Ha!  Hope you are having a happy Monday and enjoying another gorgeous day!

No comments: