header

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Let it Snow?!

Monastery Overlook, oil on canvas, 16"x20"

Living in DC, you never know what the weather is going to hold.  We get a bit of everything, and today is no different.  While it's beautifully sunny outside right now (albeit a tad on the chilly side), a large storm is coming our way and is expected to dump at least 2-4 inches tonight and then an undetermined amount throughout the day tomorrow.  I'm really unsure of how this happened since it's March and we haven't seen much snow at all this year.  To add to the oddity, the local news announced that the peak of the cherry blossoms this year is in about three weeks.  Three weeks?!  Crazy!

So as I begin to hunker down, I figured I would post one of my recent paintings, this time of Madonna del Sasso in Locarno, Switzerland (close to the Italian border).  I really love this setting, atop a hill overlooking the lake.  This painting gave me the opportunity to experiment with roof lines this time as I haven't painted many scenes with this high of an angle.  This scene just captured me though, the peace and serenity of this old building nestled in the mountainside.  If you want to see another closeup as well as a few other of my pieces, check it out here!


No comments: