header

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Painting vs. Artist

Capitol at Midnight, 24"x36" oil on linen

Well, it's Wednesday and not Monday per the usual blog entry, but it was my goal for this post to be about the painting I've been working on this past week and I can say I successfully completed it.  Yay!  

Just like any project, sometimes a painting just flows, and other times, it's more of a process.  On occasion, it's a battle royale.  Cue this painting.  If you've been following my work, it's evident that I've painted different variations of the Capitol on multiple occasions.  So even though this is right up my alley, I found myself at 11 p.m. on Monday stuck on this painting, specifically the water for whatever reason.  It just wasn't gelling, and it was literally fighting me.  I pushed my chair out and threw tons of paint onto my palette, determined to get it completed, and when I would step back and it would look like a mess, I'd scrape it all off and start over again.  There is nothing more disheartening then scraping off paint you thoughtfully put onto a canvas!!!  

After hours of battling, and a mini meltdown, I finally feel like I won.  I am happy with the way it turned out, and I realized after putting my brush down that I was painting so intensely, I was absolutely covered in paint.  I looked like a two year old who had gotten into a box of markers.  I am a messy painter anyway, but even a couple days later I am still finding traces of evidence of this painting even after multiple scrub downs!  Ha!

Well, it was all worth it, and just part of the painting process.  I hope you get joy out of it as I definitely have a sense of accomplishment!


To celebrate finishing up the piece, it was summer pedicure time.  My mom came over and we beautified our toes just in time for flip flop season.  Since my girly pup didn't want to be left out, we painted her toes light pink to match her tongue.  Nobody call animal control on me, it was just for fun once!

Hope you have a great week and that your projects go smoothly!


No comments: