header

Monday, March 10, 2014

Commission Time!


Commissions are an important aspect of my life as an artist, and I really enjoy them as they often stretch me since I'm creating a painting from an image that someone else selects, and often tweaking it once the image is picked out.  Recently, I created the scene above for a family who recently had their dining room redecorated by incredible designer Christine Wiott.  They have a beautiful Tuscan style home, filled with warm tones.  So when we had settled on an image to paint and I was asked to warm up the tone of the painting, I quickly realized what that meant.  No blue.  Now, that's not inherently that big of a deal, but I very quickly realized that I don't think I have ever painted a picture without using blue!  Even in my sunset pictures and night scenes I still manage to throw blue in there.  So this was to be a fun challenge, and was it ever. In addition to warming up the tone of the image, I was also asked to add in extra foliage and flowers, which you can see especially in the pots on the terrace.  Since I love Italian scenes, this was a really fun piece to paint and felt more like something I would just create on my own (maybe with a splash of blue, though! Ha!).

The outcome is a 24"x36" oil on canvas, framed in an antique silver and espresso frame.  Stay tuned for a picture of the piece on the wall!

Interested in turning your own photograph into a painting?  Drop me a note!





2 comments:

Patrick said...

Do you have a picture of what the original image was? Sounds like a magnificent transformation!

Meredith Hannon said...

Thanks! I do have the original image, I can't post in the comments section but I can tell you it was very blue!