header

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Fresh Off the Easel!


Camera shots are usually never the best, but I was really excited to finish this piece up so I snapped a quick picture of it.  It's been cold and then warm and now cold again up here in DC (I just looked out the window and realized it's SNOWING!), so painting a piece of Grand Cayman, a place that is always some version of warm, was pretty easy to get into.  I love love love Cayman cottages, the colors, the roof lines, the porches.  Ahhhh don't you just want to grab your favorite drink and watch the crystal clear water lap up against the sand?!  Sigh.  Maybe this is why I have multiple fake palm trees in my house!

Of late I've been doing a LOT of framing with my lovely assistant (read: mom), which is always a bit like Christmas when the FedEx truck rolls around.  That said, it's a lot of work when it comes to putting the actual frames together.  Everything starts as "chop," individual lengths cut at a 45 degree angle.  We then match and secure the corners, place the painting in the frame, secure it to the frame, add paper backing to it, and add wire for hanging.  The whole process can take quite a bit of time, even when everything is perfect.  That said, it is quite satisfying to have a great frame and overall presentation.  I say that a frame is like the jewelry to a great ballgown...it just finishes off the look!

Hope your week is going great!

No comments: