header

Monday, October 21, 2013

Loosen Up!



This past weekend, the local arts group I am a member of (Northern Virginia Artists League or NOVAL for short) hosted an oil and watercolor workshop at ArtSpace Herndon.  We were able to get the lovely Vicki Blum, oil painter extraordinaire to teach the morning class and do a painting demonstration for us!  Vicki is a great teacher, very disarming, and just a lot of fun.  


After Vicki showed us how she does what she does, Vicki let us loose to paint our own scene on a small canvas.  The intimidating part?  We only had an hour and a half to finish the piece.  What?!  Listen, for some people, an hour and a half is plenty of time to complete a small piece, but for others (ahem), this is a near impossible task.  As you can see by some previous works, I paint in lots of detail, with very tight strokes.  So this was definitely quite a challenge and forced my brain to flex a little to practice the technique of using larger, looser brush strokes.  The results are quite different from the normal style, but I like it!  I mean, I love some purple with yellow highlights (I went to JMU for undergrad after all), so I guess in a way I couldn't go wrong!

This workshop was especially refreshing because, if I'm being completely honest, I really did not have a great week when it came to painting.  I worked on two paintings, both sketches I shared, and neither, NEITHER worked out at ALL.  How does that happen?  I should have known from the start, but alas, I have two canvases sitting in the trash because they just did not turn out the way I had hoped.  Oh well!  What are you going to do?!  It happens!

I hope you are having a wonderful Monday so far and that you have a great rest of your week!


No comments: