header

Monday, July 29, 2013

Sunset at the Capitol

Sunset at the Capitol, 20"x20" oil on canvas

I guess at this point it's pretty safe to say that I have unintentionally found myself working on a study of the Capitol, as this will be at least my fourth painting of this majestic building.  Besides all the architectural detail, I love how different it looks in each season and time of day.  The palette (read: colors) ends up being so different each time and the visual and emotional impact ends up being unique as well.

Going off of the painting above, now that we are in the thick of summer (yay!), how beautiful are the sunsets right now?!?  I am always looking for beautiful skies to paint, so what better way to find it than to look outside the window?  My mom always jokes when the sky is really beautiful that if it were painted it would look fake.  That's why I say that God paints skies prettier than anyone else! :-)


Here is a picture of the sunset a few days ago.  It was a really hot day and the clouds were just gorgeous.

So taking a turn from summertime sunsets, I am finishing up my last Capitol painting (for now!), which is currently on the easel.  This time, though, I'm going back to snow!  Two Capitol's back to back, and then we'll see where to next!  Stay tuned!




No comments: