header

Monday, June 9, 2014

Animal Planet



In the art world, some weeks are crazy with events, meetings, etc., and other weeks are for keeping your nose down in your canvas, or the less savory administrative work.  This week was a mix of keeping the business up to date as well as actual painting.  I am finishing up a couple of embellished giclees, another "Capitol Glow," and one of the cherry blossoms that I did about a year or so ago.  It was funny to compare my last original of the Capitol that I completed against the Capitol Glow giclee, the original is a 24"x36", which is a pretty decent sized painting, but it looks so small in comparison to the giclee, which is a 32"x48".  Either way, I love painting big pieces, whether it's the original or an embellishment!  

In other news, I've come to find that my boxer has learned new ways of getting my attention.  In the past, she's basically just howled at me like a wookiee from Star Wars.  Once she realized that I found it more amusing than attention grabbing (usually I respond to the noise with, "She said what to you?  Stop.  I can't believe it!"), she has decided to get in between me and whatever I'm doing, especially if I'm having an administrative day.  It's almost like she senses how I'd rather be at the canvas (or playing with her). 

I attempted to sit on the floor to keep her company.  It's like she instantly knew I was on gchat instead of staying on task, which meant I must have time for a walk!

Sitting on the couch instead of on the floor, followed by 11 year old dog jumping on the couch, hovering over the computer on my lap.

 In my household, we have a rule that we don't really seek out getting animals, but we won't turn away one that ends up on our doorstep.  That's how I got a cat when I was a child, that's how we adopted our neighbors dog in high school, and how we ended up with Wrigley.  So come to my surprise when I'm eating lunch with my husband, that we see a bright green bird on our deck.  This was no ordinary native bird.  This was a pet parakeet.  Given that a pet parakeet in the Mid-Atlantic has the survival skills of a pomeranian in the wild, we spent several hours capturing it, and taking it to various shelters until someone would take it.  For the first time, we didn't take in the animal on our doorstep, but does a bird really count?!  He was so cute, but it was obvious our pup was getting jealous of the attention we were bestowing upon it, and it was obviously someones pet!  Thanks to the Fairfax County Animal Shelter for having a cage on hand and taking him in.  We named him Tom Haverbird, after Tom Haverford, our favorite character on the hit NBC show Parks and Recreation.

Makeshift bird cage = Amazon box with holes poked through.  See Tom trying to break out above.

Okay so that's about it for this odd week of animals and embellished giclees.  Hope you are having a great Monday and enjoying the gorgeous weather!

No comments: