header

Monday, January 27, 2014

Back to Italy!


Alright, so I'm not actually going back to Italy right now, but I did recently take my palette there.  Here I have two paintings of Vernazza, each a 12"x36".  While not quite a diptych, they do pair well together and I painted them both at the same time to try to maintain consistency of color.  I like the way that they turned out and it was a lot of fun to get back to painting one of my favorite places.

One of the things I enjoyed most about this painting is that I tried a new surface...linen!  I had heard about the benefits of linen, the archival quality and smooth texture, but I had no idea how much I would truly enjoy it.  While cotton has a more textured surface, linen canvas is so smooth that it makes it even easier to paint small details and get straighter lines.  I had ordered a couple on a whim and just yesterday I went back and bought a bunch more!  I think I'm in love!

Hope everyone is having a great Monday so far and that your day went as smooth as a linen canvas!




No comments: