header

Monday, October 26, 2015

Little Lion

Little Lion, 24"x24" oil on canvas

Happy Monday!  As promised, here is my latest sea creature, the lionfish.  As I've mentioned previously, Grand Cayman holds a special place in my heart.  There are a million reasons to love it, but for some reason it really feels like home.  In Cayman, like many other areas of the Caribbean, the lionfish has been introduced as a non-native species, and as a result, has been depleting natural fish populations as well as coral reefs due to its predatory tendencies. 

That said, Caymanian people are quite clever, and figured out that they are actually a very tasty fish, so spearfishing for lionfish has become a bit of a sport.  As a result of the influx of lionfish meat, many restaurants now have lionfish offerings on their menus.  I haven't tried it yet, but I'm really looking forward to it!

So here he is, this gorgeous striped fish with a bit of a checkered history, ha! I've seen one in person once, and I can say they really are majestic looking!  Hope you enjoy!

No comments: