header

Monday, August 12, 2013

New Paintings!

Sunrise over the Tidal Basin, 12"x36", oil on canvas

I have to admit, my hand is starting to hurt, as I jumped from one painting into another very quickly.  I am glad I did, though, as it's always fun to feel productive, and for me, one of the best ways to feel productive is to finish a painting (and, of course, the laundry!).  I remember when I first started painting full time, I told myself I would finish paintings really quickly because I had all of this uninterrupted time.  Ha!  I quickly came to learn that being a full-time artist comes with a lot of work on the side, which has very little to do with putting brush strokes on a canvas.  The business side is a great excuse to take a break and rest your hand, but at the same time, I never knew how much time you could actually spend being an artist not painting.

Now that aside, I am really happy to have completed two paintings recently that I can share with you. It's not that the latest pieces were finished in record time or anything, but it has been a little bit of time since I shared paintings on the blog and I'm happy to say I have more than one to share!  The first is a snowy Capitol scene, which is a 20"x20" oil on canvas below.  I was inspired by the beautiful curvature of the sidewalk and the serenity of the freshly fallen snow.  I love painting DC as you might not normally see it, especially in tranquil settings like the one for this painting.  

After the Snow, oil on canvas, 20"x20"

Next, I just finished (read: still wet!) a scene of a sunrise over the Tidal Basin, overlooking the Jefferson and all the beauty of the cherry blossoms, which is at the top of this post.  It is a 12"x36", and while this one is obviously very different in dimension than the snowy scene above, it was similar in that it was a different size to try out and I really loved it!  Again, I was really inspired by the peaceful view, as the sun peeks over the horizon but before the hustle and bustle of the day begins.

Next up on the easel, a view of the Kennedy Center at dusk.  Praying for lots of productivity!

Hope you have a SPLENDID week!



3 comments:

Laura Florek said...

Congratulations!!! They're both beautiful! :)

Unknown said...

WOW! Both are absolutely AMAZING!

Meredith Hannon said...

Thanks Christine and Eron!!! I appreciate the compliments!