header

Thursday, June 21, 2012

DC Capitol Mini


As you might have already seen, I like to paint big.  I started in murals, then moved to canvas, so when you're used to filling up walls that are 7 ft. high by 15 ft. wide, a 24"x36" canvas doesn't seem like too tall an order.  That said, last December I entered into a "minis" show at Oatlands Plantation, with the largest allowable size being on a 5"x7" canvas.  I thought that there was no way that it would be feasible painting on such a small canvas, but sure enough, I found that I actually enjoyed the attention to detail in the size constraints.  So recently I found myself researching the world of miniature paintings, and realized that many miniature artists groups define a miniature painting as no larger than 25 square inches (ex., 5"x5").

Having had a photo of the Capitol in the snow that I absolutely loved, I decided to give an even smaller mini a whirl.  How small you ask?  2.5"x3.5" and I can honestly say I had fun painting every bit of it.  I especially love the scene; not only is it a gorgeous view of an area I grew up close to, its a reminder of the beautiful snowstorm we got a couple years ago that left the DC metro area blanketed in up to 75" of snow, a record breaking season for many cities.

If you would like to see a close up of the painting, click here:  Landscapes

Hope you enjoy!


No comments: